When I was 26, I would jokingly refer to my bike as the CWM (Cross Wind Missile). I'm not 26 anymore...

About Me

My name is Dean Russell and I raced road bikes and some track endurance in the 1990s. I stopped racing in 1999 when I was 26. After almost thirteen years of being a lazy slug I decided to put my sorry backside onto a bike seat and have another crack at racing. This blog chronicles my journey from being completely unfit and overweight to becoming one of the oldest Elite A grade riders in Queensland...and then slipping nicely back into Masters racing.

Monday 19 September 2016

Everesting Attempt for the Cancer Council; Saturday, 8 October


Inspired by the amazing efforts of students and staff at Dalby State High School in the Relay for Life (major fundraiser for the Cancer Council) each year, I am going to make an Everesting attempt on Markham's Hill, on Saturday, 8 October. I hope to raise funds for the Cancer Council through donations leading up to the day.

What is Everesting? The famous Mount Everest is 8,484 metres high. Everesting involves riding up and down one hill, on a bicycle, in one ride, until you have achieved that elevation. 



Markham's Hill is off the Bunya Mountain Road, roughly halfway between the small town of Kaimkillenbun and the base of the Bunya Mountains. It starts off with a steady gradient of 5 % but that increases all the way to the difficult last section which maxes out at 17 %. The climb itself is 1.7 km long and has a total altitude gain of 112 m.


How good is your maths? That is 76 times up and down the hill. Okay let's round it up to 80 times just to be sure. And.....288 km in total. You will notice I said Everesting attempt! But trust me, I'm going to have a big crack at it!

I am planning on a very early start, well before sunrise and if successful, I expect to still be going in the evening. Dalby cyclists, don't be shy about coming to join me for a lap or two. I am sure I will appreciate the company. I will have a little camp set up at the bottom with spare wheels, plenty of food and lots of water. 

I would love to raise over $1,000.

If you would like to donate, you can do it in three ways:

GoFundMe: https://www.gofundme.com/2ptb6myp

PayPal: druss4@eq.edu.au

Bank Transfer: Commonwealth Bank - Dean Russell - BSB 064 175 / ACC 1026 7737

No comments:

Post a Comment