When I was 26, I would jokingly refer to my bike as the CWM (Cross Wind Missile). I'm not 26 anymore...

About Me

My name is Dean Russell and I raced road bikes and some track endurance in the 1990s. I stopped racing in 1999 when I was 26. After almost thirteen years of being a lazy slug I decided to put my sorry backside onto a bike seat and have another crack at racing. This blog chronicles my journey from being completely unfit and overweight to becoming one of the oldest Elite A grade riders in Queensland...and then slipping nicely back into Masters racing.

Thursday 1 May 2014

Race Report: Queensland Road Team Series (QRTS 2) - 26, 27 April 2014

This was my first QRTS round for the year with Team TLD and I am very disappointed to say, it was by far the worst round I have had with the team, since coming on board in round 1 last year.

The program was two 31 km Team Time Trials on the Saturday and then a 93 km Road Race on the Sunday (which was three laps of the Saturday Course)

Saturday
Team Time Trial 1 - I lasted 11 km. No explanation. My legs wouldn't work when going uphill. I simply felt like I had nuthin'. I did ride my TT bike with a disc in the back and the course had a lot of climbing in it. This is not an excuse by any means but for a big bloke like me, I need all the help I can get when climbing so probably not a great equipment choice.

Team Time Trial 2 - I lasted 16km. A marginally better effort than the morning but I still had a lot of difficulty. I used my road bike in this one which felt a lot better. The lighter bike and wheels and the ability to change gears quickly and easily definitely made a difference.

The team actually went very well in the two events (top non-NRS team) and having only a 10 second difference between the two rides. The second event was a timed handicap based on the morning run and it makes no sense to me to have a handicap event in a 'high-level elite' series, as it is promoted. But anyway...it is what it is. 

Sunday
The road race started okay but again any incline had me in trouble. I lasted about 20 km on the first lap before being blown out the back door on the KOM (I wasn't alone, but that doesn't make me any happier about it). It was a very fast pace, but so have all the other QRTS rounds been when I have made it to the finish in good shape. Sigh...

So what to take out of this weekend? 

Firstly, Team TLD is looking very good. James Thompson finished second in the road stage and Sam Allen showed his class with a great performance across the weekend. The two of them are 18 years and 17 years respectively so their future is very bright. 

Secondly, the team culture and ethos at Team TLD is great. It's an awesome environment to race in and be a part of. I've raced in many teams over the years and in terms of support and organization, Team TLD are one of the best. 

Thirdly, in terms of my performance, I really don't know what to say. I am writing it off as 'one of those weekends'. Disappointing, but it happens. One thing that I am still struggling with since 'coming back' is my consistency, and this is a great example of that. Two weeks ago I put out my best ever power numbers. This weekend just gone, I can't get anywhere near that. When you look at my power files from this weekend there is nothing in there to suggest that I would be in as much trouble as I was. It's frustrating, but as a 41 year old still 'returning' to the game it is something I need to deal with.

What's on the calendar? The Ipswich Open is this weekend and I am only riding the Individual Time Trial. This is a 'dressed rehearsal' for the State Titles (MAS 40 - 44) Individual Time Trial in June (same course / distance). I am actually riding Masters A (which I don't often do) so I can do this course. I'm keen for a result of course, but am very interested in how I perform against the other 40 - 44 years riders. Battle of the Border is also coming up and the Tour of Toowoomba as well for the team, but I have pretty much no chance of riding that given my current form and the quality we have on board at the moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment