When I was 26, I would jokingly refer to my bike as the CWM (Cross Wind Missile). I'm not 26 anymore...

About Me

My name is Dean Russell and I raced road bikes and some track endurance in the 1990s. I stopped racing in 1999 when I was 26. After almost thirteen years of being a lazy slug I decided to put my sorry backside onto a bike seat and have another crack at racing. This blog chronicles my journey from being completely unfit and overweight to becoming one of the oldest Elite A grade riders in Queensland...and then slipping nicely back into Masters racing.

Monday 5 May 2014

Race Report: Ipswich Open Individual Time Trial, 3 May 2014

This race was an improvement on a week ago (and for that I am truly grateful). I raced Masters A (which I don't often do) because it was the same course and distance as the State Titles Individual Time Trial in six weeks time.

The 20 km Purga course is normally tough enough on a regular day, but on this day we also had a howling cross wind to contend with. This seemed to knock everyone's times around a little.

I rode a good, controlled and well-timed race, making sure I had enough in the tank to really get into it on the hills that come in the last 5km or so. I actually ejected my Garmin at the 9km mark, which made things a little difficult. I've become a 'sucker for the numbers' and having to do the last 11 km without power, cadence or heart rate data was a little tricky. Having said that, I think I managed to get it right.

The field in Masters A is always competitive and I felt that this particular race was no different. I was very keen for a top five placing and missed that by a little with an 8th place, in a time of 29 minutes and 12 seconds. I was 24 seconds off the top five, 43 seconds off the podium and 1 minute 13 seconds off the win (world number two in the Masters 45- 49 age group, Andrew Patten).

So overall, I'm not overjoyed, but satisfied. Comparing myself to other riders in my age group (40 - 44 years) I performed well and have reduced the gap since last time we raced together.

No comments:

Post a Comment