When I was 26, I would jokingly refer to my bike as the CWM (Cross Wind Missile). I'm not 26 anymore...

About Me

My name is Dean Russell and I raced road bikes and some track endurance in the 1990s. I stopped racing in 1999 when I was 26. After almost thirteen years of being a lazy slug I decided to put my sorry backside onto a bike seat and have another crack at racing. This blog chronicles my journey from being completely unfit and overweight to becoming one of the oldest Elite A grade riders in Queensland...and then slipping nicely back into Masters racing.

Saturday 24 August 2013

Race Report: Elite State Titles Road Race (and a cross road in the season)

Well today was just a straight up shit day...

I have been battling this cold on and off since the Cunningham (three weeks). It gets better, it gets worse, it gets better, it gets worse, but I don't stop coughing. And before you ask, yes I have already had nearly a week off the bike trying to get rid of it.

I coughed like an old car on the hills today. Heart rate goes up = me coughing my guts up. It's not an ideal state for racing. 

The other part of my dilemma was a rear derailleur that today decided I needed some strength training. I say 39 x 23, it says 39 x 19. I say 39 x 25, it says 39 x 21. If you know the Kalbar course, 39 x 23 and 39 x 25 are just a little bit handy (well, for a tall unit like me anyway). 

So it was all over for me on the second lap. The frustrating thing is that if you have a real close examination of my power data today, there is absolutely nothing that says I should have got dropped (well, that early anyway).

So methinks another short break off the bike to rid self of this cough is necessary. And possibly a new derailleur. 

The problem?

Masters State Titles are in two weeks. The individual time trial especially has been a target event for me all year. I have done plenty of specific preparation for it and I believe I have a very good 20 km in these legs. I was intending to make a decision on whether or not I train on until October for the Australian Masters Titles in Goulburn, based on my results in two weeks.

You see the problem? At this rate, I may not even get to the start line in two weeks, effectively meaning that my 2013 season may well be finished right...NOW. 

Maybe I 'll just get healthy and got to Goulburn anyway? Who knows. At least I'm not a fat slug on the sofa (gotta stay positive about this whole cycling business).

Here's me looking ragged:

No comments:

Post a Comment