When I was 26, I would jokingly refer to my bike as the CWM (Cross Wind Missile). I'm not 26 anymore...

About Me

My name is Dean Russell and I raced road bikes and some track endurance in the 1990s. I stopped racing in 1999 when I was 26. After almost thirteen years of being a lazy slug I decided to put my sorry backside onto a bike seat and have another crack at racing. This blog chronicles my journey from being completely unfit and overweight to becoming one of the oldest Elite A grade riders in Queensland...and then slipping nicely back into Masters racing.

Monday 19 August 2013

Race Report: Charles Coin Memorial

A funny old day...

I had pretty good legs. Not great but not bad either. I had almost a week off the bike sick after the Cunningham and I think I could feel a little of that in my form. Anyway...

The day was very warm and there was minimal wind. The course was also fairly straight forward with little challenge in the way of hills or climbs. There was a little berg inside 2km from the finish but it was not really steep or long enough to do much damage. 

The pace was up and down but the third lap was very quick (blew the Strava record for a lap of the course out of the water). The bunch had dwindled to sixteen by that point. 

A break of four went down the road soon after and I had a team mate there, so it was effectively tools down for me right there. That break established a good lead and stayed away until the finish (my team mate came second). 

On the last lap a split in what was left of the bunch happenned with another four riders going off the front. I considered going with that group but made a mistake and stayed in the bunch (I didn't think they would stay away). I chased hard but we missed making contact with the second break by about thirty seconds. There were only six of us left sprinting for 9th and I ended up 11th.

I'm actually disappointed with this. I had better legs than 11th in this race and I am very hungry for better results in Elite A.

No comments:

Post a Comment