When I was 26, I would jokingly refer to my bike as the CWM (Cross Wind Missile). I'm not 26 anymore...

About Me

My name is Dean Russell and I raced road bikes and some track endurance in the 1990s. I stopped racing in 1999 when I was 26. After almost thirteen years of being a lazy slug I decided to put my sorry backside onto a bike seat and have another crack at racing. This blog chronicles my journey from being completely unfit and overweight to becoming one of the oldest Elite A grade riders in Queensland...and then slipping nicely back into Masters racing.

Saturday 15 September 2012

Race Report: Toowoomba Club Criterium

Well, after 24 attempts, it finally happened; I won a race. It was a combined A and B grade criterium (with 4 A graders and about 12 or so B graders). It was 40 minutes plus 2 laps on the full Glenvale circuit. A grade gave B grade a short head start and we had to reel them in. After we did that I attacked at 10 minutes and Matt Haswwell (good U/18 rider) from Team TLD came across to me. We quickly got about a 20 sec lead. Matt blew up at 20 minutes and I had to go it alone. I rode with all I had and ended up holding on by 1 min 5 sec at the finish. Feels very nice to win a bike race after all these years.

No comments:

Post a Comment