When I was 26, I would jokingly refer to my bike as the CWM (Cross Wind Missile). I'm not 26 anymore...

About Me

My name is Dean Russell and I raced road bikes and some track endurance in the 1990s. I stopped racing in 1999 when I was 26. After almost thirteen years of being a lazy slug I decided to put my sorry backside onto a bike seat and have another crack at racing. This blog chronicles my journey from being completely unfit and overweight to becoming one of the oldest Elite A grade riders in Queensland...and then slipping nicely back into Masters racing.

Sunday 17 June 2012

Race Report: Queen's Park Criterium

The Tour of Toowoomba (national series) has just finished and there was a support event criterium on around Queen's Park. The course was 2.4 km with a long drag up Margaret Street and it was very, very windy. I was in the Masters B / Elite C race with about 35 starters. It was surprisingly hard and there were only about 12 of us left for the final sprint. I came 6th. I had nothing left in the sprint (again) which is becoming a worrying trend. I'm nowhere near a 'pure' sprinter, but in hard finishes like the race today, I used to go very well (albeit a long time ago). This might be a fitness thing, or another gap in my training and racing...dunno. It is starting to give me the shits though.


No comments:

Post a Comment