When I was 26, I would jokingly refer to my bike as the CWM (Cross Wind Missile). I'm not 26 anymore...

About Me

My name is Dean Russell and I raced road bikes and some track endurance in the 1990s. I stopped racing in 1999 when I was 26. After almost thirteen years of being a lazy slug I decided to put my sorry backside onto a bike seat and have another crack at racing. This blog chronicles my journey from being completely unfit and overweight to becoming one of the oldest Elite A grade riders in Queensland...and then slipping nicely back into Masters racing.

Saturday 12 May 2012

Race Report: Toowoomba Criterium

For the record, they call it a 'kermesse' but I call it a criterium...

A bit of a frustrating day. Raced the B grade club criterium in a field of 15. The organizers told me at the start that I might have to ride A grade because of a smaller field there and in hindsight I should have jumped at the chance. The race was extremely negative, with most of the riders happy to chase the breaks and then grind to a halt once caught. I had three good attempts at getting away in small groups which did not manage to work. A young guy slipped off the front with a lap or two to go and the bunch looked at me to chase. I didn't, and was actually pleased to see him stay away and win. I got 3rd in the bunch sprint for 4th overall. I was pleased to see the guys who had ridden so negatively come unstuck as their best position was 3rd. Overall, the pace was not really challenging and I think I am going to move up to A grade next time. I had actually done a pretty solid 105km in the morning, which makes the fact that I found this race pace quite soft, even more of a reason to move up. Wish me luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment