When I was 26, I would jokingly refer to my bike as the CWM (Cross Wind Missile). I'm not 26 anymore...

About Me

My name is Dean Russell and I raced road bikes and some track endurance in the 1990s. I stopped racing in 1999 when I was 26. After almost thirteen years of being a lazy slug I decided to put my sorry backside onto a bike seat and have another crack at racing. This blog chronicles my journey from being completely unfit and overweight to becoming one of the oldest Elite A grade riders in Queensland...and then slipping nicely back into Masters racing.

Sunday 27 May 2012

Race Report: Metropolitan Championships...and the humbling step back

Today, was my last race in Masters A (for now). I have already put an application in to go back to Masters B. I just can't get over the steep hills with the A grade guys. Flat = fine. Undulating = fine. Steep = out the back door like a shit-covered brick. I got popped out today on the second lap and never looked like getting back on. I know a lot of people felt I was biting off more than I could chew by going straight to A grade and I think they were right. Sure it's great to be exposed to the harder racing, but getting DNF next to my name on a regular basis isn't helping anyone.

I actually rode in today with Andrew Patten, who is the Australian Masters champion in a few events on the track (err, he had a mechanical, not a lung failure like me). We were talking about me just starting again and he looks at me holding his fingers an inch or two apart and says 'you know Masters A is only this much slower than Elite A?' I'm sure he was just trying to make me feel a bit better (seemed a very nice guy), but he's got a point. It's time to step back and build up again. 

Fortunately, Pensar Hawk have a Masters B team I should be able to slot straight into.

No comments:

Post a Comment