When I was 26, I would jokingly refer to my bike as the CWM (Cross Wind Missile). I'm not 26 anymore...

About Me

My name is Dean Russell and I raced road bikes and some track endurance in the 1990s. I stopped racing in 1999 when I was 26. After almost thirteen years of being a lazy slug I decided to put my sorry backside onto a bike seat and have another crack at racing. This blog chronicles my journey from being completely unfit and overweight to becoming one of the oldest Elite A grade riders in Queensland...and then slipping nicely back into Masters racing.

Sunday 29 April 2012

2nd!

Did the 65km B grade Toowoomba Club Race at Boodua today. It was a nearly flat 21 km course that was very windy and with a bit of drizzling rain and 25 starters. There was a big split in the cross wind at 15 km (that I missed, daydreaming) where 6 got off the front. I managed to get across to them on my own pretty comfortably. The 7 in the break became 5 before long. I had a go by myself at 21 km to go, hoping for some company, but it didn't come and I didn't have the legs to go solo. We all stayed together until a rider attacked up a hill about 500 m from the finish and he stayed away. I managed to win the gallop for 2nd. I'm overall very happy with today. I felt pretty strong most of the way and when I think that just two short months ago I couldn't even finish a B grade criterium, I have to consider this a big improvement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment