When I was 26, I would jokingly refer to my bike as the CWM (Cross Wind Missile). I'm not 26 anymore...

About Me

My name is Dean Russell and I raced road bikes and some track endurance in the 1990s. I stopped racing in 1999 when I was 26. After almost thirteen years of being a lazy slug I decided to put my sorry backside onto a bike seat and have another crack at racing. This blog chronicles my journey from being completely unfit and overweight to becoming one of the oldest Elite A grade riders in Queensland...and then slipping nicely back into Masters racing.

Monday 13 February 2012

What the hell am I thinking?

I quit racing in 1999. I had just come back from the Tour of South China Sea. I had to retire from that race because of illness. In hindsight, I think I had a nasty Asian stomach bug that needed attention from my doctor (but I was 26 so I didn't get it seen to). I also had some recurrent bouts of bronchitis and...my new career as a teacher was starting to take off. Combine all those reasons, and I thought it was time to hang it up.

In September of 2011, for some unknown reason, I thought I would start riding again. I started on my mountain bike, moved to a road bike (I have a lovely new Giant TCR 0) and now it's February 2012 and I'm training four days a week and have had three races so far. I'm racing in Masters B!

So far, I'm loving it, losing weight, getting fit and wondering what the hell I am doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment