When I was 26, I would jokingly refer to my bike as the CWM (Cross Wind Missile). I'm not 26 anymore...

About Me

My name is Dean Russell and I raced road bikes and some track endurance in the 1990s. I stopped racing in 1999 when I was 26. After almost thirteen years of being a lazy slug I decided to put my sorry backside onto a bike seat and have another crack at racing. This blog chronicles my journey from being completely unfit and overweight to becoming one of the oldest Elite A grade riders in Queensland...and then slipping nicely back into Masters racing.

Saturday 18 February 2012

A good sign?

Yesterday the local club criterium was a combined A and B grade race (45 minutes plus two laps). The field was about 25 with only 4 A graders (two of which happened to be Hayden Brooks and Darren Rolfe). The race broke up early with a group of 10 riding off the front, with little old me in that group. I was stoked, because I was worried about not even being able to stay on the back of this group and here I was off the front in the main split. The sad reality is, I didn't have the legs to stay there and after 25 minutes I exploded (literally; there are still pieces of me all over the circuit). I still feel though, it's a really good sign of things to come. Managed to back it up with a solid 140km training ride the next day as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment