When I was 26, I would jokingly refer to my bike as the CWM (Cross Wind Missile). I'm not 26 anymore...

About Me

My name is Dean Russell and I raced road bikes and some track endurance in the 1990s. I stopped racing in 1999 when I was 26. After almost thirteen years of being a lazy slug I decided to put my sorry backside onto a bike seat and have another crack at racing. This blog chronicles my journey from being completely unfit and overweight to becoming one of the oldest Elite A grade riders in Queensland...and then slipping nicely back into Masters racing.

Saturday 19 May 2018

Making Clubbies Count

Food for thought...completely ignore this, take it on board, do what you like. This is written with my Coach's hat on and also in an effort to contribute to our team:

I have raced A Grade in Toowoomba for 6 years now and yesterday was the first time I have experienced a club race like 'that'. I am also pretty sure it is the first time I have seen all starters contest the finish (unusual). A disappointing and surprising outcome.

Let me break this down for you... club races (if you have bigger goals) have a specific purpose. That purpose being to absolutely blow your doors off, empty the tank and leave nothing out there. They differ from open or important races in that there is minimal strategy and very little conservation of energy. My memory of local A Grade is exactly that; an absolute bloodbath of attacks, surges, breaks and everyone flogging themselves into submission. Yesterday (regrettably) was negativity; chase / stop / sit on / chase / stop. I heard someone say after the race 'well what are you supposed to do when two riders are clearly stronger than everyone else?' The answer to that is easy; attack, chase, surge, counter attack, go over the top, go again. To be fair, some riders did at least try this a little.

My point here is that clubbies are a brilliant opportunity. A chance to put some absolute quality into a Saturday ride and I would say that for the majority of the A Grade bunch yesterday, that didn't happen. And before I hear 'sour grapes from Dean because he didn't podium' trust me I couldn't give two shits about a club race podium. My legs were ordinary before the race, during the race and even now, but I am satisfied with the work I produced (I was actually legless for the last few minutes - could you tell?)

Are you satisfied with your club race? And before you answer that question...if you 'failed to participate or barely participated' in yesterday's race until the last lap, then your answer should be 'no'. You missed an opportunity.

Please don't take any offence at this or feel insulted as it is not my intention to do either of those things. My intention is to make you a better bike racer. 

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your candour Dean. As one of those in the attending race I was happy as I think it's the first time I was there at the end of an A grade Crit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Tom. Plus you had an attack and a late run for the line.

    ReplyDelete