When I was 26, I would jokingly refer to my bike as the CWM (Cross Wind Missile). I'm not 26 anymore...

About Me

My name is Dean Russell and I raced road bikes and some track endurance in the 1990s. I stopped racing in 1999 when I was 26. After almost thirteen years of being a lazy slug I decided to put my sorry backside onto a bike seat and have another crack at racing. This blog chronicles my journey from being completely unfit and overweight to becoming one of the oldest Elite A grade riders in Queensland...and then slipping nicely back into Masters racing.

Friday 22 July 2016

Race Report: Toowoomba Cycling Club Travel Medicine Alliance 2-Day, 9 & 10 July 2016

The Toowoomba Cycling Club hosted this great two day event a week or so ago. They did a superb job of running it and deserve plenty of kudos for the innovative concept and the slick management. I would also like to thank Travel Medicine Alliance for sponsoring the event. That gesture was much appreciated by all who competed. Around fifteen riders lined up in A grade which was the biggest local field I can remember for a long time. 

Day 1 was a 40 minute + 2 lap criterium at Glenvale on the full circuit. I had good legs and rode aggressively until a winning break finally stuck around halfway when Tom Gough (fresh back from the Australian Junior Championships where he finished eighth in the Individual Time Trial) came across to me. There was a third rider in the break who conceded that the pace was too high and sought permission to sit back and take third. Tom and I gave each other a bit of stick but were left together at the end to sprint it out. I led out hard but Tom came over me and won by about a wheel. 

Day 2 started with a 9.2 km time trial at Bunkers Hill that was basically downhill on the way out and uphill on the way back. I felt pretty good and clocked 13 min 18 sec to come second behind Tom Gough again. The overall classification was calculated on points so I was obviously second overall at this stage. 


Day 2 concluded with a 55 km road race on the Bunker's Hill circuit. Both Tom and I rode aggressively all day but there were still fifteen or so riders left as we approached the final pinch of the day. Tom then hit us with an extremely hard attack and there were only six riders left contesting the finish. The sprint started very (very) early and Michael Curley had positioned himself perfectly as he took the win. Tom followed him in to second and I was third. 



So I ended up second overall after the three stages. I didn't come in to this weekend with fresh legs so I am especially happy with my form. 


(Credit Peter Trezise for all the photos)

No comments:

Post a Comment