When I was 26, I would jokingly refer to my bike as the CWM (Cross Wind Missile). I'm not 26 anymore...

About Me

My name is Dean Russell and I raced road bikes and some track endurance in the 1990s. I stopped racing in 1999 when I was 26. After almost thirteen years of being a lazy slug I decided to put my sorry backside onto a bike seat and have another crack at racing. This blog chronicles my journey from being completely unfit and overweight to becoming one of the oldest Elite A grade riders in Queensland...and then slipping nicely back into Masters racing.

Monday 10 February 2014

A New Year and a New Team

With the clock ticking over to 2014, I am now an official member of Team TLD Racing. I rode the Queensland Road Team Series (QRTS) with them last year and have come across permanently now. This has been a great move for me and I am really looking forward to the year ahead. The team has signed a few young up and coming stars (ah, not like me!) who I am sure will inject something very positive into the team. James Thompson from Brisbane is probably the 'biggest' of the new names. Look out for him this year as he is a genuine talent. Ex-professional Darren Rolfe is also keen for a big year and is as fit as I can remember seeing him. 

2014 has had a slightly shaky start for me. I have been trying to concentrate on putting some solid base miles down but have had some unfortunate interruptions. I have had a major mechanical which put me off the road for two days, a stomach bug that knocked me around a bit and (last but not least) a crash that I am still recovering from. All things considered, I'm actually not going too badly, but undoubtedly feeling a little behind where I would like to be at this time of year.

I did get to test my form at a 60km club race at Boodua last weekend. The team had a hard ride around Haden the day before so the legs were a bit flat (as well as my left arm which was still giving me some discomfort). I am pretty happy with how I went. There were two riders off the front and I managed to jump across to them. We were soon joined by a fourth and that is how we stayed until the last 8km. I ended up third. This picture also shows the new team kit for 2014:


The Toowoomba Two Day is on this weekend. I have a 55 minute plus 2 lap criterium and a 72km road race on the Haden circuit. I am riding Elite A both days and it is an absolute quality field. I think I am in for a tough weekend but can hopefully use it to move forwards in terms of fitness and form. Wish me luck...

1 comment:

  1. good luck Arthur - may the wind be at your back ......

    ReplyDelete