When I was 26, I would jokingly refer to my bike as the CWM (Cross Wind Missile). I'm not 26 anymore...

About Me

My name is Dean Russell and I raced road bikes and some track endurance in the 1990s. I stopped racing in 1999 when I was 26. After almost thirteen years of being a lazy slug I decided to put my sorry backside onto a bike seat and have another crack at racing. This blog chronicles my journey from being completely unfit and overweight to becoming one of the oldest Elite A grade riders in Queensland...and then slipping nicely back into Masters racing.

Wednesday 26 June 2013

Race Report: Club Prologue & Criterium - 22 June 2013

A new format was trialed last weekend at club racing. A 1.4km prologue and then a 45 minute + 2 lap criterium. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 points awarded to each stage with an overall winner at the end.

For a man with a hefty power dip in his profile at 1 minute (but getting better, I'm working on it), a 1.4 km prologue was never going to be fun. Add to that the fact that I made a complete meal of it (started too hard and exploded 200 m from the finish) and I should be happy to have run 3rd in 1 min 45 sec. 

The criterium was a lot of fun (but very hard) with heaps of attacks and a long breakaway (which involved two of us getting across to an earlier solo break). That break was caught late and there were six of us left in contention for the sprint. I (with very tired legs) managed to pull out a 2nd place. 

I ended up 3rd overall when you add the points up. A new and interesting format and a good day of local racing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment