When I was 26, I would jokingly refer to my bike as the CWM (Cross Wind Missile). I'm not 26 anymore...

About Me

My name is Dean Russell and I raced road bikes and some track endurance in the 1990s. I stopped racing in 1999 when I was 26. After almost thirteen years of being a lazy slug I decided to put my sorry backside onto a bike seat and have another crack at racing. This blog chronicles my journey from being completely unfit and overweight to becoming one of the oldest Elite A grade riders in Queensland...and then slipping nicely back into Masters racing.

Monday 6 May 2013

Race Report: Battle on the Border (Tour de Tweed)

This three day / four stage tour was held on the Tweed Coast last weekend. I finished up racing in the category of Elite 1, which was an interesting mix. Here's the mix of riders:
  • A small handful of riders from National Road Series (NRS) teams who missed selection (top six) in their own team for the NRS tour that was running concurrently.
  • Elite A riders from Queensland and NSW who were not affiliated with a NRS team.
  • A small handful of Elite B riders from NSW.
  • The top twenty (about) Elite B riders from Queensland as selected by the state handicapper (I have no idea how I made this 'cut' to be honest).
All in all, a very competitive bunch of fifty-four with some very fast and talented riders. I was in for a rough ride.

Stage 1 Road Race (93km) - 43rd
This stage went straight up the Terranora and Campbell's Pocket climbs in the first 20km. By that point, the field had split into three groups of about 25 / 15 / 14. I was in the third group. We stayed that way until the finish, I was disappointed to get dropped up Terranora but I was absolutely REDLINING and could do nothing about it. 

Stage 2 Individual Time Trial (9km) - 8th
This...is good news. I averaged a little over 44km/h and am very happy with the result in some good company. Nice to have a good time trial after two 'misfires' the previous weekends. 
Stage 3 Criterium - 41st
A fast and furious affair on a tight and hilly circuit. I spent the stage following wheels and staying out of trouble. I finished in the main bunch. 

Stage 4 Road Race (100km) - 22nd
This stage was by far the most encouraging and promising race I have had since I got back on the bike. The stage was extremely hard with two crossings of Farrant's Hill, some other steep as a wall berg on the way down towards Burringbar, then the two part Burringar Range itself. The bunch got smaller and smaller each time we started to climb and I managed to stay with the front group (of twenty-four) all the way to the finish. I felt strong, climbed well and managed to suffer like a dog. Very pleased with this. This ride pushed me up to 26th place overall (for the three days) which I am very pleased with, given the quality of the field.

To ride like that (especially given the climbs), I am feeling very encouraged for the future. The time trial result is also a good sign...

No comments:

Post a Comment