When I was 26, I would jokingly refer to my bike as the CWM (Cross Wind Missile). I'm not 26 anymore...

About Me

My name is Dean Russell and I raced road bikes and some track endurance in the 1990s. I stopped racing in 1999 when I was 26. After almost thirteen years of being a lazy slug I decided to put my sorry backside onto a bike seat and have another crack at racing. This blog chronicles my journey from being completely unfit and overweight to becoming one of the oldest Elite A grade riders in Queensland...and then slipping nicely back into Masters racing.

Sunday 7 April 2013

Race Report: Club Criterium - 6 April 2013

With ten starters, we had the best field in an A grade club race for ages. I was a little worried about how I would go, because I had just done a very hard ride that crossed the Bunya Mountains twice, two days earlier. As it was, I was also in the midst of a 720km week. In the end, I shouldn't have been worried, because I actually had reasonable legs.

The pace was pretty solid from the start with a few attacks. The decisive move came at about half way when Jared Graves (yes him again), Pete Collins and myself managed to sneak away. We stayed there with a good gap over the chasers until the very end.

Jared pumped me and Pete at one to go for the win. I had nothing left for the finish and Pete disposed of me very easily in the sprint.

I'm very happy with the third place though. Very eager to see what I can do with fresh legs.




No comments:

Post a Comment