When I was 26, I would jokingly refer to my bike as the CWM (Cross Wind Missile). I'm not 26 anymore...

About Me

My name is Dean Russell and I raced road bikes and some track endurance in the 1990s. I stopped racing in 1999 when I was 26. After almost thirteen years of being a lazy slug I decided to put my sorry backside onto a bike seat and have another crack at racing. This blog chronicles my journey from being completely unfit and overweight to becoming one of the oldest Elite A grade riders in Queensland...and then slipping nicely back into Masters racing.

Monday 20 August 2012

Race Report: Charles Coin Memorial

I raced Elite B today instead of Masters B (I have a dual licence) and I doubt I will race Masters B again. The pace was definitely quicker, but I coped with it very well. Given I have been off the bike sick recently, I am especially pleased about how I went. We had about 36 starters and a Pensar Hawk team mate found himself off the front in a two man breakaway with about 25 km of the 108 km to go. I worked very hard chasing down attacks and generally trying to disrupt the chase. This was a success as the break stayed away and he won. I was totally shattered by the end but managed to get 5th in the bunch sprint for 7th overall. There was a lot positive to take out of this race today. I enjoyed the more positive racing very much, compared to the somewhat negative 'wait for a bunch sprint' approach you see so often in Masters B racing.

1 comment:

  1. Cool photo, looking lean!
    Keep the updates coming, good to see someone out on the bike, only wish I could. Have to say, I wouldn't be racing though

    ReplyDelete